Spinach koftas cooked in tomato gravy.
- Bundles spinach – 2 medium
- Green chillies, finely chopped – 2 no
- Garlic, peeled and finely chopped – 6-8 cloves
- Cornflour – 3 tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
- Cottage cheese (paneer) – 125 grams
- Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Tomato gravy
- Fresh ginger, peeled and chopped – 1 inch
- Garlic, peeled and chopped – 5-6 cloves
- Butter – 1 ½ tablespoons
- Cloves – 6 no
- Green cardamoms – 4 no
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Green chillies, chopped – 2 no
- Tomato puree – 2 cups
- Red chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Garam masala powder – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar or honey – 3 tablespoons
- Dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi), crushed – ½ teaspoon
- Fresh cream – 1 cup
- Clean, trim and wash spinach in plenty of running water. Blanch in boiling hot water in a deep non stick pan for two to three minutes and refresh in cold water. Squeeze out water and chop finely.
- Mix the spinach, green chillies, garlic, cornflour and salt to taste. Divide into twelve equal portions.
- Grate cottage cheese. Add salt to taste and mash well. Shape into twelve equal balls.
- Flatten a portion of spinach on your palm and top with a cottage cheese Bring the edges of the spinach together to form a ball (kofta).
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan and fry the koftas, six at a time, on medium heat for two to three minutes on each side . Drain and set aside.
- To make the tomato gravy, grind ginger and garlic to a smooth paste.
- Heat the butter in a non stick pan, add cloves, green cardamoms and bay leaf. When they begin to splutter, add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies; cook for two minutes.
- Add tomato puree, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt and one cup of water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for ten minutes. Add sugar or honey and dried fenugreek leaves to the gravy. Stir in fresh cream.
- To serve, cut koftas in half and arrange in a pool of tomato gravy.
Chef’s tip: Before frying all the koftas, fry one to check if it holds its shape. If it breaks, add some more cornflour to the spinach mixture.