This is how rice kanji is made in Orissa
- Boiled rice – 2 cups
- Strained rice water – 3 cups
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Dried red chillies – 4-5 no
- Green chillies – 4 no
- Rock salt
- For garnishing-
- Salted peanuts
- Onion, finely chopped – 1 no small
- Juice of – 1/4 lemon
- Black salt
- A lemon wedge
- Place boiled rice in a bowl and mash it with a spoon. Add strained rice water and mash further. Mix well and set aside overnight.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Add dried red chillies and sauté till crisp. Switch off the heat. Transfer the chilies on an absorbent paper.
- Break green chillies and place in a pounder. Pound it along with rock salt.
- For serving, place mashed rice in a bowl. Top it with salted peanuts, chopped onion, lemon juice, pounded green chillies, black salt, a lemon wedge. Crush red chillies and sprinkle on top and serve.