Spinach chutney with a touch of spice.
- Vegetable oil – 1 teaspoon
- Dhuli urad dal (split skinless black gram) – 1 tablespoon
- Chana dal (split Bengal gram) – 1 tablespoon
- Dried red chiles – 4 no
- Asafoetida – ¼ teaspoon
- Red onion, finely chopped – 1 medium
- Tomato, finely chopped – 1 large
- Green chiles, chopped – 2 no
- Spinach, roughly chopped – 1 medium bunch
- Grated fresh coconut – 4 tablespoons
- Tamarind pulp – 2 teaspoons
- Table salt – to taste
- Place a non stick wok on medium heat and pour in the oil. Add the split black gram, split Bengal gram and cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the red chiles, asafoetida, onion, tomato and green chiles. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach, coconut, tamarind pulp and salt. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the stove top and set aside to cool.
- Transfer the mixture into a blender and blend to a fine paste. Transfer into serving bowl.
- Serve as accompaniment with idlis, dosas or with steamed rice.