Pulao flavoured with fried cottage cheese cubes and crisply fried onions.
- Cottage cheese (chana/chenna), cut into 1 inch cubes – 400 grams
- Basmati rice – 1½ cups
- Ghee – 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Sugar – 2 teaspoons
- Onion, finely sliced – 1 large
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cloves – 2 no
- Green cardamoms – 2 no
- Salt – to taste
- Wash and drain the rice and spread out to dry. When completely dry, add one tablespoon of ghee and the sugar and mix well.
- Heat one tablespoon of ghee in a non stick pan and sauté the cottage cheese cubes on medium heat. Drain and set aside.
- Add the remaining ghee to the same pan and sauté the onion on medium heat till crisp and brown. Drain and set aside.
- To the ghee remaining in the pan, add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms and sauté till fragrant. Add the rice and salt and sauté for two or three minutes.
- Add three cups of hot water and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and cook till the rice is done and all the water has been absorbed.
- Add the cottage cheese cubes and stir lightly to mix.
- Sprinkle fried onions and serve.