Pulao flavoured with fried cottage cheese cubes and crisply fried onions.
Cottage cheese (chana/chenna), cut into 1 inch cubes 400 grams
Basmati rice 1½ cups
Ghee 1 1/2 tablespoons
Sugar 2 teaspoons
Onion, finely sliced 1 large
Bay leaf 1 no
Cinnamon 1 inch
Cloves 2 no
Green cardamoms 2 no
Salt to taste
- Wash and drain the rice and spread out to dry. When completely dry, add one tablespoon of ghee and the sugar and mix well.
- Heat one tablespoon of ghee in a non stick pan and sauté the cottage cheese cubes on medium heat. Drain and set aside.
- Add the remaining ghee to the same pan and sauté the onion on medium heat till crisp and brown. Drain and set aside.
- To the ghee remaining in the pan, add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms and sauté till fragrant. Add the rice and salt and sauté for two or three minutes.
- Add three cups of hot water and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and cook till the rice is done and all the water has been absorbed.
- Add the cottage cheese cubes and stir lightly to mix.
- Sprinkle fried onions and serve.