A classic orange chocolate chip muffin recipe to keep the kids happy. Great for an afternoon tea snack or pop one in the lunch box.
- Refined flour (maida) – 1½ cups
- Chopped orange rind – 1 teaspoon
- Orange juice – ½ cup
- Chocolate chips – ½ cup
- Baking powder – 1½ teaspoons
- Soda bicarbonate – ½ teaspoon
- Powdered sugar – ¾ cup
- Cocoa powder – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Egg – 1 no
- Vanilla essence – a few drops of
- Buttermilk – ½ cup
- Melted butter – ½ cup
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Grease twelve muffin moulds.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda bicarbonate, powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt into a large bowl. Mix well.
- Break egg into another bowl and whisk lightly. Add orange rind and whisk some more. Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Add the buttermilk and melted butter and whisk well. Stir in the orange juice.
- Add this mixture to the flour mixture and mix well. Fold in half the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the prepared muffin moulds and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Place the moulds in the preheated oven and bake for twenty to thirty minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to stand for about ten minutes.
- Turn muffins out of the moulds and serve warm.