A famous Punjabi preparation of chick peas in spicy tomato gravy
- Fresh ginger pieces – 2 one-inch
- Fresh garlic cloves – 8-10 no
- Green chiles – 2 no
- Cumin seeds – 2 tablespoons
- vegetable oil – 6 tablespoons
- red onions, chopped – 3 large
- coriander powder – 3 teaspoons
- red chile powder – 1 teaspoon
- coarsely powdered dried pomegranate seeds (anardana) – 1 tablespoon
- tomatoes, chopped – 4 medium
- Salt – to taste
- tinned cooked kabuli chana (chickpeas) – 2 ½ cups
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves – 2 tablespoons
- Place the ginger, garlic and green chiles in a spice grinder and grind to a paste.
- Place a small non stick pan on medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and dry roast for 2 minutes or till fragrant. Cool and grind to a powder.
- Place a deep non stick pan on medium heat and pour in the oil. When small bubbles appear at the bottom of the pan, add the onions and saute for 4-5 minutes or till brown. Add ginger-garlic-green chile paste and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the coriander powder, ground roasted cumin seeds, red chile powder and pomegranate seed powder and saute till the oil separates.
- Add the tomatoes and salt. Cook till the oil separates.
- Add the tinned beans and saute for 2 minutes. Add water and simmer fro 10 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot with garlic naan