Handvo” is a cherished gujarati recipe which can be called a savoury steamed vegetable cornmeal cake,
- Rice – 1 cup
- Split pigeon peas (arhar dal/toovar dal) – ½ cup
- Split green gram (dhuli moong dal) – ¼ cup
- Split Bengal gram (chana dal) – 2 tablespoons
- Split black gram (dhuli urad dal) – 2 tablespoons
- Sour yogurt – ½ cup
- Soda bicarbonate – 2 teaspoons
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – 4 teaspoons
- Red chilli powder – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Carrot, grated – 1 medium
- Shelled green peas, boiled – ½ cup
- Oil – 5 tablespoons
- Red chillies, dried – 2 no
- Cloves – 2 no
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Asafoetida (hing) – a pinch
- Mustard seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Toasted sesame seeds (til) – 3 tablespoons
- Soak the rice with all the dals in five cups of water for two hours. Drain. Grind the rice to a coarse paste and add enough water to make a batter of medium thick consistency. Mix in the yogurt and one teaspoon of soda bicarbonate. Cover the batter and leave to stand in a dark place for two or three hours to ferment.
- Stir the salt, sugar, chilli powder and turmeric powder into the batter. Mix in the grated carrot and green peas.
- Heat the oil in a pan; add the red chillies, cloves, bay leaf, asafoetida and mustard seeds and sauté till the seeds begin to splutter.
- Sprinkle the remaining soda bicarbonate over the batter and pour the lemon juice into it. Immediately pour the hot spices into the batter and whisk briskly.
- Grease a ring mould. Pour the batter into it till half full. Sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds generously over the top.
- Place about two kilograms of clean sand in a large pressure cooker. Place the ring mould in the sand carefully, pressing down till it is embedded about half way into the sand. Cover the cooker with the lid but without the gasket and whistle.
- Place over high heat for ten minutes. Lower heat to medium and cook the handvo till a skewer inserted into it comes out clean. It may take forty to forty-five minutes.
- Cool slightly and unmould the handvo. Cut into thick slices and serve hot with green chutney.