A traditional Punjabi recipe Gur ke Chawal, made during festivals or during weddings and best eaten with boondi raita.
Ghee 2 tbsp
Peppercorn 1 tsp
Cloves 4-5 no.
Cinnamon stick 1 inch
Whole cardamom 3 no.
Cashew nuts finely chopped 6-8 no.
Almond finely chopped 6-8 no.
Rice soaked for 20 mins 1 cup
Water 1½ cups
Jaggery grated 1 cup
Saffron essence Few drops
- In pressure cooker heat ghee, peppercorn, cinnamon sticks, cloves, split whole cardamom, cashew nuts, almonds and sauté till nuts brown.
- Drain the rice and add to pressure cooker, mix well.
- Add water, jaggery, saffron essence and mix well.
- Cover the pressure cooker and cook for 1 -2 whistles.
- Let the pressure cooker cool and remove the rice in serving plate.
- Serve hot.