A light and refreshing snack for rainy season.
- Gram flour (besan) – 2 cups
- Chopped fresh fenugreek leaves (methi) – 1 cup
- Cottage cheese (paneer), grated – 2½ cups
- Oil + to shallow fry – 1 tablespoon
- Onions, chopped – 2 medium
- Fresh button mushrooms, sliced – 8-10 no
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Soda bicarbonate – ¼ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Carom seeds (ajwain) – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a pan and saute onions till translucent. Add methi and cook for another minute. Add mushrooms and saute on high heat for a minute. Add salt and black pepper powder. Let cool and mix in cottage cheese. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix together gram flour, soda bicarbonate, salt, red chilli powder, carom seeds, asafoetida, coriander leaves and sufficient water to make a batter of pouring consistency. Whisk well to ensure there are no lumps.
- Heat another pan, drizzle a few drops of olive oil, pour a ladle full of batter into the pan and spread it evenly and thinly using the back of the ladle. Cook the cheela on both sides, using a little more olive oil, till golden brown.
- Place a portion of the stuffing on one side of the cheela, fold the other side over it and serve immediately.