Purple yam tempered with spices.
- Purple yam peeled, cut into 1 inch cubes and boiled in water with lemon juce and turmeric powder – 250 grams
- Mustard oil – 2 tbsp
- Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds ( methi dana) – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Onion seeds (kalonji) – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black salt – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- For garnishing-
- A fresh red chilli flower
- A green chilli, slit
- Heat mustard oil in a non stick pan. Add asafetida, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, onion seeds and sauté till fragrant.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cover immediately. Keep covered for half a minute.
- Add purple yam, coriander powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, black salt, salt, vinegar and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer into a serving bowl. Garnish with a fresh red chilli flower and a slit green chilli and serve hot.