Achari gosht or achari mutton is a wonderful yet rare awadhi cuisine of uttar pradesh which is cooked with mutton bringing out pickled flavors or achari flavors into it.
- Mutton on Bone, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes – 750 Grams
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2 Tablespoons
- Malt vinegar – 1 Tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Yellow mustard seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Mustard oil – ½ Cup
- Asafetida – ½ teaspoon
- Bay leaves – 2
- Kalonji (onion seeds) – ½ teaspoon
- Onions, peeled and sliced – 4 medium
- Green chilies, stemmed and slit – 6-8
- Red chili powder – 1 Tablespoon
- Coriander powder – 2 Tablespoons
- Ground turmeric – ½ teaspoon
- Saunf (Aniseed) – ½ teaspoon
- Rock salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Plain yogurt – 1 Cup
- Green cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Wash the mutton pieces thoroughly under running water and drain well in a colander. Place them in a deep bowl. Add ginger-garlic paste, malt vinegar, yogurt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt, rub the spices well into the mutton pieces, cover the bowl with cling film and keep it in a refrigerator for about two hours to marinate.
- Place a small nonstick frying pan on medium heat. Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, saunf (aniseed) and one teaspoon cumin seeds and dry roast for thirty seconds. Set aside to cool. When cooled transfer into a spice grinder and grind into a fine powder. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Place a deep non stick pan on medium heat and pour in the mustard oil. When the mustard oil smokes, add asafetida, bay leaves, half teaspoon cumin seeds and kalonji (onion seeds) and saute for thirty seconds.
- Add the onions and cook for three to four minutes or till the onions are translucent.
- Add the marinated mutton and chilies and stir. Cover and cook for thirty minutes or till the mutton is three fourth done, this should take about thirty to forty minutes. Add the rock salt and the roasted spice powder and stir well. Cook for ten minutes.
- Add the yogurt and cook till the mutton is completely done. Add the garam masala powder and stir.
- Serve hot with parantha.