Spicy fried banana slices
- Unripe bananas – 4 no
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves, chopped – 20 no
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Rice flour – 2 tablespoons
- Tamarind Pulp – 2 teaspoons
- Oil + as required – 1 tablespoon
- Peel and slice the bananas lengthways into three to four slices. Cut each slice in half if too long.
- Boil the banana slices in salted water to which the turmeric powder has been added, for five minutes. Drain and cool.
- Mix together the curry leaves, chilli powder, coriander powder, rice flour, tamarind pulp and one tablespoon of oil. Spread the paste evenly over the bananas slices. Set aside for fifteen minutes.
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a non stick frying pan and shallow-fry the banana slices, a few at a time, till crisp and golden on both sides. Add more oil, as necessary, to fry the remaining banana slices.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot.
Chef’s Tip: Replace the bananas with sliced potatoes or yam.