Yellow dal a hot favorite at every Maharashtrian home
- Toor dal/arhar dal (split pigeon peas) – ½ cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Table salt – ½ teaspoon
- Ground turmeric – ¼ teaspoon
- Pure ghee – 2 teaspoons
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Place the dal in a medium bowl and wash thoroughly 2 to 3 times. Soak the dal in the same with in 1 cup water for half an hour. Drain.
- Place a non stick medium sized deep pan on high heat. Add 2 cups of water, soaked dal, salt, turmeric and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook the dal for 10-15 minutes or until the dal is completely cooked and soft. Mash thoroughly using a hand blender.
- Place a non stick small frying pan on medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of pure ghee. When small bubbles appear at the bottom of the pan, add asafetida and cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds change color, add the tempering to the mashed dal mixture and cover the pan to trap the flavors.
- Serve the varan with steamed rice.