Pomfret stuffed with a green masala and prawns
Fresh whole pomfret 4 medium
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder ½ teaspoon
Lemon juice 2 tablespoon
Semolina, for dredging 2 cups
Oil to shallow-fry
Small prawns, cleaned & deveined 1½ cups
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped 1 medium bunch
Fresh mint leaves 2 sprigs
Onion, peeled and roughly chopped 1 medium
Tamarind, thick paste 1 tablespoon
Garlic 7 cloves
Ginger 1inch piece
Green chillies 2 nos
Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
Fresh coconut, scarped 4 tablespoons
Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Sugar a pinch
Lemon juice 1 tablespoon
Juliennes of red, yellow and green bell peppers a few
- Silt the mouth of the fish, discard the gills,and trim the fins and tail. Make sure the mouth cavity is cleaned thoroughly.
- Wash and drain the fish thoroughly. Lay the fish flat on a cutting board and slide in very sharp knife and make a slit about two centimeters away from and along the top edge towards the tail of each pomfret and make neat pockets on both sides of the pomfret. Do not cut open all the way through. Also make a slit on top similarly.
- Rub the pomfret with salt, turmeric and lemon juice and keep aside for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Meanwhile to make the stuffing grind coriander leaves, mint leaves, onion, tamarind paste, garlic, ginger, green chillies, cumin seeds, coconut, turmeric powder, salt and sugar with a little water to a smooth green chutney.
- Heat little oil in a pan. Marinate the prawns with salt and lemon juice and sauté it on a high flame till done. Drain and keep aside.
- Now stuff the pomfret with green chutneyand prawns and keep aside for another fifteen minutes.
- Spread semolina on a plate. Gently roll each pomfret over semolina and place in a tray.
- Heat oil on a tawa.Gently place the pomfret on hot tawa and cook over medium flame, turning sides, till fish is lightly browned and cooked from both the sides.
Remove on a serving plate, garnish with three colored bell pepper juliennes and serve