Fish cooked in bengali style, tastes great with steamed rice.
Black mustard seeds 1 Tablespoon
Fish, cut into ½ inch thick slices on bone 600 grams
Mustard oil 3 Tablespoons
Ginger, peeled and sliced 1 inch
Garlic cloves, peeled and sliced 5
Green chillies 2-3
Vinegar 2 Tablespoons
Paanch phoron 1 teaspoon
Onions, finely chopped 2 medium
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder ¾ teaspoon
Coconut milk 1 cup
Coriander sprigs for garnishing.
- Heat one tablespoon mustard oil in a non stick pan. Slice the ginger and garlic and add to the pan and saute lightly.
- Break the green chilies and add along with the mustard seeds. Add vinegar and switch off the heat.
- Transfer this mixture into a mixer jar and grind to a fine paste.
- Heat the remaining mustard oil in another non stick pan. Add the paanch phoron and onions to the oil and sauté lightly.
- Meanwhile sprinkle salt and one forth teaspoon turmeric powder over the fish slices and apply evenly over all the slices.
- Do not let the onions colour. Add the ground paste and mix. Add half cup water, salt and the remaining turmeric powder and mix. Add coconut milk and mix.
- Add the fish pieces and mix. Cover the pan and cook till the fish is done.
- Garnish with coriander sprig and serve hot with steamed rice.