Fish cooked in bengali style, tastes great with steamed rice.
- Black mustard seeds – 1 Tablespoon
- Fish, cut into ½ inch thick slices on bone – 600 grams
- Mustard oil – 3 Tablespoons
- Ginger, peeled and sliced – 1 inch
- Garlic cloves, peeled and sliced – 5
- Green chillies – 2-3
- Vinegar – 2 Tablespoons
- Paanch phoron – 1 teaspoon
- Onions, finely chopped – 2 medium
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – ¾ teaspoon
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Coriander sprigs for garnishing.
- Heat one tablespoon mustard oil in a non stick pan. Slice the ginger and garlic and add to the pan and saute lightly.
- Break the green chilies and add along with the mustard seeds. Add vinegar and switch off the heat.
- Transfer this mixture into a mixer jar and grind to a fine paste.
- Heat the remaining mustard oil in another non stick pan. Add the paanch phoron and onions to the oil and sauté lightly.
- Meanwhile sprinkle salt and one forth teaspoon turmeric powder over the fish slices and apply evenly over all the slices.
- Do not let the onions colour. Add the ground paste and mix. Add half cup water, salt and the remaining turmeric powder and mix. Add coconut milk and mix.
- Add the fish pieces and mix. Cover the pan and cook till the fish is done.
- Garnish with coriander sprig and serve hot with steamed rice.