Tasty Khichadi Made with whole black urad dal and rice specially for lohri, a traditional Punjabi Dish as made in home of Punjab during winters.
- Urad dal whole black gram) – 3/4 cup
- Rice – 1 cup
- Ginger grated – 1 tbsp
- Green chillies – 1tbsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies – 3
- Hing – ½ tsp
- Oil/ ghee – 2 tablespoon
- Salt – To taste
- Plain yoghurt – for serving
- Pick, wash and soak rice and urad dal for at least 30-45 minutes. Chop green chilies and grate ginger and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of ghee in a pressure cooker, add asafetida, cumin, dry red chillies, once the spices start releasing the aroma add grated ginger and green chilies, mix well and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the soaked urad dal and rice, mix well. Add water and salt and mix well.. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and let it cook until 2whistles
- Remove it in a serving bowl and serve.