Simply put, it is dal cooked with spinach
- Dhuli moong dal (split skinless green gram) – ¾ cup
- Ground turmeric – 1 teaspoon
- Table salt – to taste
- Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Red onions, peeled and finely chopped – 2 no medium
- Green chiles, finely chopped – 2 no
- Dried red chiles, broken – 2 no
- Fresh ginger piece, peeled and chopped – 1 inch
- Fresh garlic cloves, peeled and chopped – 6-8 no
- Fresh spinach leaves, roughly shredded – 15-20 no
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon (5 ml)
- Place a deep non stick pan over medium heat and add 6 cups water, turmeric and the salt and bring it to a boil. Add the green gram and cook for 30 minutes or till the green gram is cooked.
- Place a deep pan over medium heat and pour in the oil. When small bubbles appear at the bottom of the pan, add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When cumin seeds start to change color, add the onions and chiles. Sauté for 3 minutes or till the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked green gram and bring it to a boil and add the spinach and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Transfer the dal into a serving bowl and serve hot with steamed rice.