Cooked rice tossed with a tangy lemon and spice tempering.
- Basmati rice – 1½ cups
- Lemon juice – 3 tablespoons
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Asafoetida (hing) – ¼ teaspoon
- Dried red chillies, broken in half – 2 no
- Split black gram (dhuli urad dal) – 1 tablespoon
- Split Bengal gram (chana dal) – 1 tablespoon
- Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) – ½ teaspoon
- Peanuts – ½ cup
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves -15-20 no
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Chopped coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Wash and soak rice in three cups of water for about half an hour. Drain.
- Put the rice into a large microwave-safe bowl with three cups of water. Cover with cling film stretched over the top and pierced with holes to allow the steam to escape. Cook on high (100%) for fourteen minutes. Leave to stand for five minutes. Spread the rice on a plate to cool.
- Put the oil into a microwave-safe bowl with the asafoetida, red chillies, urad dal, chana dal and methi dana. Cook, uncovered, on high (100%) for two minutes or until dals turn light brown.
- Stir in the peanuts, mustard seeds, curry leaves and turmeric powder. Cook, uncovered, on high (100%) for one minute. Gently mix in the cooled rice, salt and lemon juice.
- Cook, covered, on medium (60%) for two minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.