A rich almond pudding with the flavor of saffron
- Almonds – 1½ cups
- Milk – 2 litres
- Pure ghee – ¾ cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Saffron strands – 8-10 no
- Place a non stick deep pan on high heat. Pour in 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add ¾ cup of almonds and bring it to a rolling boil. Take the pan off the stove top and set aside for 5 minutes. Drain well and peel.
- Transfer them into a blender jar, add the remaining almonds and grind coarsely.
- Place another non stick deep pan on high heat. Pour in the milk and let it come to a boil, stirring continuously. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring continuously, till it is reduced to ¼ its original quantity. Set aside.
- Place a non stick pan on medium heat and pour in the ghee. When the ghee melts and small bubbles appear at the bottom of the pan, add the ground almonds and reduce heat to low. Sauté for 5 minutes or till lightly colored.
- Add sugar, reduced milk and saffron and cook for 20 minutes or till all the liquid is absorbed and the mixture thickens.
- Serve warm. Ideal during winters.