Yakhni Pulao is a Kashmiri recipe made using rice, chicken and a lot of flavourful Indian spices. this traditionally take lot of time to cook but In pressure cooker the recipe is simplified.
Rice (Basmati) 1½ cup
Chicken on bone 500 grams
Ghee 2 tbsp
Bay leaf 2 no.
Black cardamom 1 no.
Cinnamon sticks 1 inch
Green cardamoms 4-5 no.
Black peppercorn 1 tsp
Star anise 1 no.
Shahi jeera 1 tsp
Onion thinly slices 1 no. (Large)
Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
Red chilli powder ½ tsp
Turmeric powder pinch.
Garam masala 1 tsp
Fennel seeds (Saunf) powder 1 tsp
Dry ginger powder ½ tsp
Cumin powder ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Yogurt 1 cup
Mint sprig for garnish
Water As required
- Wash rice and soak for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat ghee in cooker; add bay leaf, black cardamom, cinnamon stick, green cardamoms, black peppercorn, star anise, shahi jeera, mix well and sauté till it begins to smell nice.
- Add slice onions, mix well and sauté for 2-3 min.
- Add chicken, ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, Saunf powder, dry ginger powder and cumin powder, mix well and sauté for 2-3 min.
- Add salt, mix well and sauté for 1 min.
- Add yogurt, mix well and cook for 6-8 min.
- Add soaked rice, mix well.
- Add water, stir to mix and Cover and cook for 2 whistle.
- After 2 whistles, switch off the flame and let the pressure cooker rest for 5 min.
- Take out the lid and stir lightly and remove yakhni pulao in serving plate.
- Garnish with mint sprig and serve hot.