Potatoes, carrots, cauliflowers and green peas cooked with silky vermicelli and an aromatic tempering.
- Vermicelli – 1½ cups
- Potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes – 1 medium
- Carrot, cut into ½-inch cubes – 1 medium
- Cauliflower florets – 5-6 no
- French beans, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces – 5-6 no
- Shelled green peas, – ¼ cup
- Green capsicum, cut into ½-inch pieces – 1 medium
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 6-8 no
- Split skinless black gram (dhuli urad dal) – 2 teaspoons
- Ginger piece, peeled and finely chopped – 1 inch
- Onion, finely chopped – 1 medium
- Green chillies, slit – 2 no
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Boil the potato, carrot and cauliflower in two cups of water, in a deep non stick pan, till almost cooked. Add the French beans and peas, and boil for another five minutes. Drain and cool.
- Bring five cups of water to a boil in another deep non stick pan; add the vermicelli, salt and one tablespoon of oil. Cook for one minute or till vermicelli is slightly undercooked. Drain, refresh under cold water and drain again.
- Heat the remaining oil in a non stick pan and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the mustards seeds begin to splutter, add the urad dal, ginger and onion. Sauté well till the onion turns light brown.
- Add the green chillies and stir. Add the cooked vegetables, capsicum and turmeric powder and sauté for four to five minutes.
- Add the cooked vermicelli and salt and stir gently. Cook for five to six minutes.
- Remove from heat. Mix in the lemon juice and serve hot.