A great combination this a deliciously flavorful chutney
- Vegetable oil – 3 teaspoons
- Ripe red tomatoes, roughly chopped – 4 no large
- Fresh ginger, peeled – 3 inch piece
- Onion, finely chopped – 1 medium
- Sesame seeds, roasted and powdered – 1 tablespoon
- Peanuts, roasted and powdered – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds, powdered – 1 teaspoon
- Red chile powder – 2 teaspoons
- Jaggery, grated – 1 tablespoon
- Table salt – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 10-12 no
- Place a deep non stick pan on medium heat and pour in 2 teaspoons oil. When small bubbles appear at the bottom of the pan, add the tomatoes, ginger and onion. Stir and cook for 20 minutes or till the mixture becomes brown and homogenous
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Add sesame, peanut, cumin, chile powder, jaggery and salt and stir. Transfer the mixture into a blender jar and blend to a smooth paste. Transfer into a bowl.
- Place a small non stick pan on medium and pour in the remaining oil. When small bubbles appear at the bottom of the pan, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the seeds splutter add the tempering to the chutney and stir.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight bottle to use as required.