A popular gujarati recipe of spicy rotis
- Atta (whole wheat flour) – 1 cup
- Besan (gram flour) – ¼ cup
- Chopped methi (fresh fenugreek leaves) – ½ cup
- Ground turmeric – ¼ teaspoon
- Red chile powder – ½ teaspoon
- Ginger-green chile paste – ½ teaspoon
- Table salt – to taste
- Vegetable oil – 5 tablespoons
- Plain yogurt as required – ½ cup
- Place the whole wheat flour, gram flour, fenugreek leaves, turmeric, red chile powder, ginger green chile paste, salt and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
- Add the yogurt and knead into a semi-soft dough. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Divide into 12 equal portions and shape into balls. Roll out each ball into a thin chapatti of 6 inch diameter. These are theplas.
- Place a non stick tawa (griddle) on medium heat and let it heat for 2 minutes. Place a thepla on it and cook turning sides and applying ½ teaspoon oil on each side, till both the sides are evenly golden.
- These can be eaten hot or cold.
- You can cool and store them in air tight containers for one week.