When it comes to filling the puri with something different, paneer is a good choice, especially with all the masala and spice.
- Cottage cheese (paneer), cut into ½-inch pieces – 500 grams
- Crisp puffed puris – (as for paani puri)
- Oil – 1 ½ tablespoons
- Onions, chopped – 2 large
- Ginger paste – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Green chillies, seeded and chopped – 3-4 no
- Tomato purée – ¾ cup
- Pav bhaji masala – 3-4 tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
- Chaat masala – ½ tablespoon
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves – 2-3 tablespoons
- Heat the oil on a non stick tawa; add the onions and sauté till brown. Add the ginger paste and garlic paste and continue to sauté for a few minutes.
- Add a little water and continue to sauté for one minute. Add the green chillies and sauté for another minute.
- Add the tomato purée, pav bhaji masala, salt and chaat masala and continue to cook over a low heat till the oil separates from the masala.
- Add the cubed paneer and half the coriander leaves and stir gently to mix. Check seasoning and cook over a low heat for two minutes.
- Make small holes in each puri and stuff with the paneer mixture. Serve, garnished with the remaining coriander leaves.