A quick and flavourful yam curry.
- Yam (suran), peeled, cut into cubes and boiled in water with a little salt – 500 grams
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chillies, broken – 2-3 dried
- Black peppercorns – 10-12 no
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Chana dal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 18-20 no
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch of
- Salt – to taste
- Freshly grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Juice of – 1/2 lemon
- A coriander sprig – for garnishing
- Heat oil in a non stick pan.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chillies, black peppercorns, asafoetida, Chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves and sauté till fragrant. Add yam and mix well.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and toss well. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add coconut, lemon juice and mix well.
- Transfer into a serving bowl, garnish with a coriander sprig and serve hot.