Brinjals and mushrooms stir-fried with a few sauces
- Long brinjals – 4 medium
- Mushrooms – 12-15
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic – 1 tablespoons
- Spring onion with greens – 2
- Onions, cut into cubes – 1 large
- Red chili sauce – 3 tablespoons
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tablespoons
- Dark soya sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Vegetable stock – ½ cup
- Salt – To taste
- Vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- Cornstarch – 1 tablespoon
- Fresh coriander leaves – 4-5 sprigs
- Heat sufficient oil in a wok. Quarter the brinjals and cut into small cubes and deep-fry in the hot oil
- Halve the smaller mushrooms and quarter the bigger ones and put them into a bowl
- When the brinjal pieces are done, drain them on absorbent paper
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan, add garlic and saute.
- Slice spring onion bulbs diagonally and cut the greens into big pieces.
- When garlic turns a light golden, add spring onion bulbs and sauté for a minute.
- Add mushrooms and onion cubes and mix well. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes
- Add red chilli sauce, tomato ketchup and dark soy sauce and mix.
- Add vegetable stock. You can add water if you do not have stock. Mix well and cook for 1 minute
- Add fried brinjals and a little salt and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add vinegar and mix well.
- Mix cornstarch with ¼ cup water. Chop coriander leaves and add to the pan. Add spring onion greens and 1½ teaspoons cornstarch water and mix well.
- Transfer into a serving dish and serve hot.