This raw papaya sweet chutney cooked with an array of masala is simply delicious.
- Peeled and grated raw papaya – 2 cups
- Oil – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Finely chopped ginger – 1 tbsp
- Green chillies, finely chopped – 2 no
- Raisins – 3 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 1/2 cups
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Black salt – 1/2 tsp
- Saffron few strands
- Salt – to taste
- Juice of – 1/2 lemon
- Heat 2 cups water in a non stick pan. Add raw papaya and cook for 3-4 minutes till the papaya becomes soft. Strain the papaya in a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Add mustard seeds and when they splutter add asafoetida and cumin seeds. Sauté till fragrant.
- Add ginger, green chillies, raisins and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add papaya and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add sugar and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add red chilli powder, black salt, saffron, salt, lemon juice and mix well. Cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve.