Onions dominate this simple dish cooked with tamarind and red chillies. Traditionally it is very spicy but you can vary the chilli quotient to taste.
- Onions, sliced – 8 large no
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Ginger paste – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Tamarind pulp – 1 tablespoon
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan; add the onions and sauté till light golden brown. Add the ginger and garlic pastes and sauté till the raw flavours disappear.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder and continue to sauté for two minutes. Sprinkle a little water and mix well. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for four or five minutes.
- Add the tamarind pulp and cook over a medium heat for two or three minutes, or till the oil separates. Serve hot.