A dry preparation of urad dal cooked and tempered with onions, and spices, Punjabi Sookhi Urad Dal is a different take on lentils that is flavorful and filling, Urad Dal is one lentil that is loaded with goodness.
- Black gram split ( urad dal ), soaked – 1 cup
- Salt – To taste
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Onion, finely chopped – 4 medium
- Oil – 4 tablespoons
- Tomato chopped – 1 large
- Ginger – 1 ½ piece
- Green chillies – 3
- Red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – ½ teaspoon
- Cook urad with salt, turmeric powder and 3 cups water till just done. Roughly chop onions in a chopper
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Chop tomato roughly. Add onions to the pan and saute. Cut ginger into thin strips and finely chop green chillies.
- When onions are lightly coloured, add ginger and continue to saute. Add green chilllies and saute.Add tomato, red chilli powder and salt and mix well and saute on high heat.
- Drain urad and add and mix well. Add garam masala power and mix. Serve hot.