Red kidney beans in a flavorful masala
- Vegetable oil – 3 tablespoons
- Bay leaves – 2 no
- Red onions, chopped – 2 medium
- Fresh ginger piece, chopped – 1 inch
- Garlic cloves, chopped – 6-8 no
- Red chile powder – 2 teaspoons
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Ground turmeric – ½ teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Tomatoes, chopped – 3 no
- Table salt – to taste
- Tinned cooked rajma (red kidney beans) – 2½ cups
- Water – 1½ cups
- Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Place a non-stick medium sized deep pan on high heat and pour in the oil. When small bubbles appear at the bottom of the pan, reduce heat to medium, add the bay leaves and sauté for 1 minute. Add the onions and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic and continue to sauté for 1 minute. Add the chile powder, coriander powder, turmeric and cumin powder and stir. Add the tomatoes and salt and cook till the tomatoes become pulpy and the oil leaves the masala.
- Add the red kidney beans and the water and mix. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mixture is too thick add another ½ cup water.
- Add the garam masala powder and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Take the pan off the stove top and transfer the Punjabi Rajma into a serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve immediately with steamed rice.