Mutton cooked in a minty gravy.
Mutton, cut into small pieces on the bone 800 grams
Oil 4-6 Tablespoons
Cinnamon stick 1 inch
Green cardamoms 4-5
Black cardamoms 4-5
Onions, finely sliced 2
Ginger, finely sliced 1 inch
Garlic cloves 10-12
Coriander powder 2 Tablespoons
Turmeric powder ½ teaspoon
Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Fresh mint leaves for garnishing – 1 bunch
Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
Green chillies slit 5-6
Cashew nuts 10-15
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped 1 cup
Yogurt ½ cup
- Heat two to three tablespoons of oil in a handi. Add cumin seeds and allow it to splutter. Add ginger, garlic, green chillies and sauté lightly.
- Add cashew nuts and sauté till they turn light brown.
- Switch off the heat, add mint leaves, coriander leaves, turmeric powder and mix well. Transfer the mixture into a mixer jar. Grind to a fine paste.
- Heat two to three tablespoon of oil in the handi, add black cardamoms, green cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon and sauté. Add slice onions, and sauté till translucent.
- Add mutton and sauté further for about three to four minutes. Now add the turmeric and coriander powder and sauté it.
- Add salt and two cups of water, cook for about twenty to twenty five minutes.
- Whisk the yogurt and add it to the mutton. Cook until the mutton is done.
- Add the mint coriander paste, mix well and simmer for about five minutes on slow flame. Check for seasoning. If the mutton is cooked, remove from flame, finally sprinkle garam masala and mix.
- Dish out in a serving bowl, garnish with mint leaves and serve hot.