Dahi Vada made with bread without deep frying in oil, must try
- White bread slices – 8 no
- Yogurt – 3 cups
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Finely chopped ginger – 1 tbsp
- Green chillies, finely chopped – 2 no
- Chopped raisins – 2 tbsp
- Green gram soaked and boiled in salt water – 1/2 cup
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp + for sprinkling
- Roasted cumin powder – 1/4 tsp + for sprinkling
- Black salt – a pinch + 1/4 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp + 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Grated fresh coconut – 1/4 cup
- Grated cottage cheese (paneer) – 1/4 cup
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chaat masala – 1 tsp
- Tamarind chutney – 2 tbsp
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Add ginger and green chillies and sauté for a minute. Add raisins and sauté for half a minute. Add chana dal and toss.
- Add 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/4 tsp cumin powder, a pinch of black salt, 1 tsp sugar, salt and mix well.
- Add coconut, paneer and switch off the heat. Toss well and transfer the mixture into a bowl.
- Trim the edges of the bread slices. Soak the slices in water. Squeeze out the excess water and keep aside.
- Add garam masala powder to the chana dal filling and mix. Add a little salt to the bread and mix well.
- Make equal size balls of the bread. Shape each ball into a katori and stuff the chana dal mixture into it. Seal the edges, shape into a wada and make a small depression in it.
- Add remaining sugar, remaining black salt, chaat masala, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder and a little salt to the yogurt and whisk well.
- Transfer half of the yogurt in a serving bowl. Add the wadas and pour the remaining yogurt over it.
- Pour tamarind chutney, sprinkle red chilli powder, cumin powder and serve.