These green gram fritters are simply irresistible.
- Skinless green gram (dhuli moong dal), soaked in water for 1/2 hour and drained – 1 cup
- White sesame seeds – 2 tbsp + for coating
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel powder – 1 tsp
- Dried mango powder (amchur) – 1 1/2 tsp
- Gram flour (besan) – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for frying + for greasing
- Grind together moong dal, asafetida, red chilli powder,, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, fennel powder, dried mango powder, 2 tbsp white sesame seeds into a coarse mixture and transfer into a bowl.
- Heat sufficient oil in a non stick kadai..
- Grease a plastic sheet and your palm with a little oil. Spread some sesame seeds on the sheet. Take a small portion of the mixture, and spread it on the sesame seeds to make a vada. Make a small hole in the centre and sprinkle some sesame seeds on the top.
- Deep fry the vadas till golden and crisp. Drain on an absorbent paper. Similarly, make all the Vadas.
- Transfer the vadas onto a serving plate and serve hot with green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.