Methi Tamatar is a vegetarian side dish recipe. Methi leaves or fenugreek leaves are a good source of iron and calcium and help to maintain the blood sugar level but due to its bitter taste many do not like to have methi. To subtle down its bitterness it is advisable to blanch it in hot water. Methi is often cooked with lemon or tomato to kill its bitterness. Here is a simple methi tomato recipe.
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) ¼ tsp
- Green chillies slit 2 no.
- Onion slice 1 large
- Tomato cubes 4-5 large
- Salt to taste
- Coriander powder 1½ tbsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder 1 tsp
- Ginger chopped 1 tbsp
- Garlic chopped 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek leaves 500 gm
How to make Methi Tamatar sabji (Method) :
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds, sauté till its splutter.
- Add asafoetida, green chilies slit, onion and sauté for 1 min.
- Add Tomatoes, salt, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, ginger, garlic and sauté for 3-4 min.
- Add Fenugreek leaves stir and mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook for 6-8 min.
- Take out the lid and stir well.
- Remove in serving bowl, garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.