Green peas and green gram dumplings cooked in a yogurt gravy
- Sour yogurt – 1½ cups
- Besan (gram flour) – 3 tablespoons
- Vegetable oil – 4 tablespoons
- Mangodi – ½ cup
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Brown mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 6-8 no
- Dried button red chiles, stemmed – 4 no
- Garlic cloves, chopped – 5 no
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Shelled green peas – ½ cup
- Red chile powder – 1 teaspoon
- Ground turmeric – ½ teaspoon
- Sugar – ½ teaspoon
- Table salt – 2 teaspoons
- In a bowl whisk the yogurt and gram flour well. Add 3 cups water and whisk again. Set aside.
- Place a non stick pan over medium heat and pour in the oil. When small bubbles appear at the bottom of the pan, add the mangodi and sauté for 2 minutes or till light brown. Drain with a slotted spoon and place on an absorbent paper.
- In the same oil add the fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, button red chiles and garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the asafetida, peas, mangodi, chile powder and turmeric and sauté for 30 seconds. Add ¼ cup water and cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the yogurt mixture and mix. Add the sugar and the salt and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes or till thickened. Take the pan off the stove top and transfer into a serving bowl.
- Serve hot.