A savoury karanji stuffed with spicy nut mixture.
- Potatoes, boiled, peeled and grated – 2 large
- White bread slices – 3 no
- Ginger piece, finely chopped – 1/2 inch
- Green chilli, finely chopped – 1 no
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- White pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Corn starch – 3 tbsp + for dusting
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 3-4 tbsp
- Raisins – 1 tbsp
- Chopped cashew nuts – 1 tbsp
- Chopped almonds – 1 tbsp
- Bhuna masala – 100 grams
- Mint leaves – 15-20 no
- Chaat masala for sprinkling
- Place potato in a bowl.
- Remove the edges of the bread slices and cut them into cubes. Place the cubes in a bowl and soak them in a little water for half a minute. Squeeze out the water and add the bread to the potato.
- Add ginger, green chilli, red chilli powder, white pepper powder, corn starch, salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan.
- Chop the raisins and place in a bowl. Add cashew nuts, almonds, and bhuna masala. Finely chop mint leaves and add to the filling. Add salt and mix well.
- Dust a karanji mould with corn starch. Take a portion of the potato mixture, press it on both sides of the mould and make a small depression in the centre.
- Stuff the nuts mixture in the centre, close the mould and seal the edges of the karanji
- Demould and place the karanji in the pan. Cook turning sides till evenly golden. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Similarly, make all the
- Sprinkle chaat masala on the karanjis while still hot.
- Transfer the karanjis onto a serving plate and serve hot with tamarind chutney.