Mutton and green peas make a good combination in this flavourful dish
- Boneless mutton, cut into 1/2 inch piece – 400 grams
- Mustard oil – 3 tbsp
- Bay leaves – 3 no
- Green chillies – 3 no
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Ginger finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Garlic finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Onions, finely chopped – 2 no medium
- Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/ tsp
- Cumin seeds roasted and crushed – 1 tsp
- Dried mango powder (amchur) – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Soaked and drained dried yellow peas – 1 cup
- Tomatoes, finely chopped – 2 no small
- Dried coconut strips – 8-10 no
- Scraped fresh coconut – 3 tbsp
- Heat mustard oil in a non stick cooker. Add bay leaves, broken green chillies, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic and sauté for half a minute.
- Add onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add mutton and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, roasted and crushed cumin seeds, dried mango powder, salt and mix well.
- Add dried yellow peas, tomatoes and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add dried coconut strips, fresh coconut, 1 litre water and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes . Open the lid and lightly mash the peas. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve hot.