Mutton and green peas make a good combination in this flavourful dish
Boneless mutton, cut into 1/2 inch piece 400 grams
Mustard oil 3 Tbsp
Bay leaves 3 no
Green chillies 3 no
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Ginger finely chopped 1 Tbsp
Garlic finely chopped 1 Tbsp
Onions, finely chopped 2 no medium
Coriander powder 1 1/2 Tbsp
Red chilli powder 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Cumin powder 1 tsp
Cumin seeds roasted and crushed 1 tsp
Dried mango powder (amchur) 1 tsp
Salt To taste
Soaked and drained dried yellow peas 1 cup
Tomatoes, finely chopped 2 no small
Dried coconut strips 8-10 no
Scraped fresh coconut 3 Tbsp
- Heat mustard oil in a non-stick cooker. Add bay leaves, broken green chillies, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic and sauté for half a minute.
- Add onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add mutton and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, roasted and crushed cumin seeds, dried mango powder, salt and mix well.
- Add dried yellow peas, tomatoes and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add dried coconut strips, fresh coconut 1 litre water and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes. Open the lid and lightly mash the peas. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve hot.