Phirni (Firni), a traditional rice custard cooked with milk and set in earthware containers and Sweet lychees add a refreshing note to this pudding.
- Canned lychees, drained and chopped – 25-30
- Lychee crush – 1½ cups
- Basmati rice, soaked and ground – 4 Tablespoons
- Milk – 1 litre
- Sugar – ¾ cups
- Green cardamom powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Khoya, grated – ½ cup
- Rose water – ½ teaspoon
- Almonds, blanched and sliced – 10-12
- Pistachios, blanched and sliced – 10-12
- Mix milk and basmati rice in a cooking vessel and heat.
- Stir continuously and once the mixture thickens, add the lychee crush, sugar and lychees and mix well.
- Mix the cardamom powder in about one tablespoon of water and pour into the lychee phirni.
- Add the grated khoya, rose water, almonds, and pistachios
- The mixture should be thick and should coat the back of a spoon. Remove from flame and cool.
- Keep stirring so as to avoid formation of a film on top. Once the mixture is cool, pour into earthenware serving dishes, garnish with leftover lychees, almonds and pistachio.