A hearty mutton curry cooked with dried red chilies in punjabi style
- Mutton, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces on the bone – 800 Grams
- Dried red chillies, steamed – 15-20
- Green cardamom – 6-8
- Cinnamon sticks – 2-3
- Bay leaves – 2-3
- Coriander seeds – 3 Tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Butter – 100 Grams
- Oil – 4 Tablespoons
- Onions, sliced – 3-4
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 Tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
- Green chilli for garnishing – 1
- Lemon wedges – 4
- A few fresh mint leaves for garnishing
- Heat sufficient water in a pan. Add dried red chillies, green cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves, coriander seeds and cumin seeds to the water and allow it to boil.
- Heat butter in another pan. Add sliced onion and sauté till light brown.
- Add the mutton pieces and mix.
- Cover and allow the mutton to cook.
- When the red chillies become soft, drain all the garam masala from the hot water. Grind the masala and keep the water separately.
- In the meanwhile add ginger garlic paste to the mutton and sauté.
- Add half the ground spice mixture to the mutton and sauté for about five to six minutes. Now add the strained water, salt and mix well. Cover and cook for about twenty to twenty-five minutes or until the mutton is cooked.
- Finally add the balance ground spice and mix. Simmer for about five minutes.
- Transfer into a serving bowl. Garnish with a green chilli and mint leaves and serve hot.