Ruby red and extremely cooling, this is an ideal drink to have on a hot summer day
Sugar ¾ cup
Water 1 cup
Kokum (gamboges) 100 grams
Salt ¼ teaspoon
Roasted cumin powder ½ teaspoon
- Place a non stick deep bowl on high heat and pour in ¾ cup of water. Add the sugar and when the mixture comes to a boil reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, till you get a syrup of one string consistency (see chef’s tip).
- Meanwhile place the kokum in a mixer jar, add ¼ cup of water and grind to make a puree.
- Add this puree to the sugar syrup and continue to boil for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from the stove top and add salt and cumin powder. Mix well and set aside to cool down to room temperature.
- While serving pour ¼ cup of the kokum syrup into each glass, top it up with chilled water and stir to mix. Serve immediately.
chef’s tip:-To test if the sugar syrup has reached the one-string consistency, place a drop of the syrup between your thumb and forefinger and pull them apart. If the syrup forms a single string, it is ready.