A traditional deep fried sweet snack.
- Refined flour(maida) + for sprinkling – 1/2 kilo
- Ghee – 75 grams + for applying to the roti
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Water – 2 cups
- Saffron – a few strands
- Black peppercorns – 15-20 no
- Cloves – 6-8 no
- Oil – for deep frying
- Mix together maida and 75 grams ghee. Knead into a soft dough and keep aside.
- To form sugar syrup, heat together sugar and water. Add saffron strands, black peppercorns and cloves. Cook the syrup till it reaches the consistency of less than 1 string.
- Heat sufficient oil in a non stick kadai.
- Take a portion of the kneaded dough and roll it into a roti. Spread some ghee on it and sprinkle some dry flour. Make a roll, cut the edges and cut into 1inch pieces. Stretch each piece with hands or roll out each piece to form an elongated khaja.
- Deep fry the khajas on medium heat till evenly golden.
- Transfer in the sugar syrup. Soak for 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer into a serving plate and serve.