A deep fried fritter made of jowar dipped in a chickpea batter, served as an appetizer
- Sorgham (jowar) – 1 cup
- Besan – 1 cup
- Onion, finely chopped – 1 no
- Green chilli, chopped – 1 no
- Ginger, chopped and grated – 1/2 inch
- Hing – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Redchilli powder – 1/4 tsp
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for deep frying
- Rinse the sorghum (jowar) very well in water. Drain and keep aside.
- Finely chop the onions, ginger and green chili.
- Mix everything in a bowl to a smooth batter except the oil.
- Heat the oil for deep frying in a kadhai or pan.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter in medium hot oil.
- Fry the sorghum pakodeys till golden and crisp.
- Drain the pakodeys on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve sorghum pakodeys hot or warm with green chutney, peanut thecha or tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup.