Haleem is a stew composed of meat, lentils and pounded wheat made into a thick paste.
- Boneless mutton 1/2 inch cubes – 250
- Ghee – 3 tablespoons
- Green cardamoms – 2-3
- Cloves – 5-6
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Bay leaves – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Onions sliced – 3 medium
- Ginger paste – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Split green gram with skin soaked – 2 tablespoons
- Split Bengal gram (chana dal) soaked – 2 tablespoons
- Instant oats – 4tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped – 2-3 tablespoons
- Fresh mint leaves hand torn – 10-12
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add green cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, cumin seeds and onions and sauté till light brown.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste and continue to sauté. Add chana dal, moong dal and oats and stir.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and mix.
- Add half a cup of water and sauté for two to three minutes.
- Add mutton cubes and salt and mix. Add four cups water close the lid and pressure cook for 3-4 whistle
- Add garam masala powder, coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Stir and cover. Cook on medium heat till done. Remove the bay leaves.
- Blend it lightly using a hand blender and serve hot.