Spring onions give this Punjabi wadi dish a fresh taste.
- Spring onions – 4 no
- Punjabi urad dal wadis – 5 no
- Oil for deep frying + 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger, finely chopped – 1 inch
- Gram flour – 2 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Dried mango powder (amchur) – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Soya keema soaked in water for 15-20 minutes – 1/4 cup
- Heat sufficient oil in a non stick kadai. Deep fry the wadis till golden. Transfer the wadis into a bowl of water and set aside.
- Roughly chop spring onion bulbs as well as greens and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non stick pan. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and sauté till the seeds splutter. Add asafoetida, ginger and sauté for half a minute.
- Add gram flour and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, dried mango powder and sauté for a minute.
- Add spring onion bulbs and greens and sauté for a minute. Drain the wadis, break them into pieces and add to the pan.
- Add 1 cup water, salt and soya keema. Mix well and allow coming to a boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes and switch off the heat.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve hot.