‘Gavhachi kheer’ is a kheer made from cracked wheat. this kheer is prepared most often than any other kheer
- Broken wheat (daliya) – 1 cup
- Dates(khajur) – 5-6 no
- Dry coconut – 1/4 cup
- Poppy seeds – 4 tsp
- Rice , cooked – 1/4 cup
- Ghee – 5 tsp
- Nut and dry fruits(use cashew, raisins and almonds) – 1/2 + for garnish
- Jaggery, chopped – 1 cup
- Fresh coconut, grated – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 2 tsp
- nutmeg powder – 1 tsp
- Milk, to serve – 3 cups
- Salt – a pinch
- Dry- roast the broken wheat, add the dates (khajur) and 4 cups of water. Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Meanwhile, grind the dried coconut and poppy seeds.
- Once the wheat is cooked, whisk it until it resembles a coarse paste. Add the cooked rice, if using. The rice helps make the kheer smooth.
- Heat the ghee in a large saucepan. Fry the nuts dry fruit and set them aside. Then add the cooked wheat to the ghee and some warm water till you get a thick, pasty consistency. Add the jiggery, coconut, the ground coconut-poppy mixture, cardamom and nutmeg mix well.
- Allow the jaggery to melt and let it cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the dry fruits.
- To serve, add the milk and a pinch of salt. Serve hot, topped with a few more dry fruits and nuts.