Crisp and delicious winter vegetable pickle – a must in every Punjabi home
- Filtered mustard oil – 12 tablespoons
- Coarsely ground ginger – 6 tablespoons
- Coarsely ground garlic – 4 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds, powdered – 1½ tablespoons
- Kashmiri red chile powder – 1½ tablespoons
- Punjabi garam masala powder – 1½ tablespoons
- Grated jaggery – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Gajar (carrots), cut into 1½ inch pieces – 500 grams
- Gobhi (cauliflower), separated into medium florets – 500 grams
- Shalgam (turnips), peeled and cut into 1½ inch pieces – 500 grams
- Malt vinegar – 3 tablespoons
- Place a kadai (wok) on medium heat and pour in the mustard oil. When small bubbles appear at the bottom of the wok, add the coarsely ground ginger and garlic and sauté till light golden.
- Add the powdered mustard seeds, chile powder and garam masala powder and sauté for a 15 seconds.
- Add the jaggery and salt and stir well.
- Add the vegetables, stir and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Stir in the vinegar and mix well.
- Store in sterilised bottles. This pickle will keep for a year.