Fish ambotik curry recipe is a spicy and tangy curry. made in gaon style
Pomfrets, ½ inch thick slices 2 medium (400 grams each)
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
Coriander seeds 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
Coconut, scraped 1 cup
Dried red chillies 8-10 no
Ginger piece, roughly chopped 1 inch
Garlic cloves, roughly chopped 8-10 no
Cloves 5 no
Cinnamon sticks 2 (one inch)
Vinegar 2 tablespoons
Oil 2 tablespoons
Onions, finely chopped 2 medium
Green chillies, slit 4-5 no
Tamarind pulp 3 tablespoons
- Marinate the fish with salt and turmeric powder for fifteen minutes.
- Dry roast the coriander seeds and cumin seeds in the microwave on grill mode for two to three minutes.
- Grind coconut, red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, cloves, cinnamon and vinegar to a very fine paste with a little water.
- Place the oil and onions in a microwave safe bowl and cook, uncovered, on high (100%) for three minutes.
- Add the ground masala, fish and three and a half cups of water and cook, uncovered, on high (100%) for two minutes.
- Dilute the tamarind pulp in half cup of water and add. Add slit green chillies and stir. Adjust salt and cook again on MEDIUM (70%) for two minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Chef’s Tip: If kokum is available, you may add 5-6 kokum pieces soaked for half an hour in half a cup of water along with tamarind pulp.