Fish ambotik curry recipe is a spicy and tangy curry. made in gaon style
- Pomfrets, ½ inch thick slices – 2 medium (400 grams each)
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Coconut, scraped – 1 cup
- Dried red chillies – 8-10 no
- Ginger piece, roughly chopped – 1 inch
- Garlic cloves, roughly chopped – 8-10 no
- Cloves – 5 no
- Cinnamon sticks – 2 (one inch)
- Vinegar – 2 tablespoons
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Onions, finely chopped – 2 medium
- Green chillies, slit – 4-5 no
- Tamarind pulp – 3 tablespoons
- Marinate the fish with salt and turmeric powder for fifteen minutes.
- Dry roast the coriander seeds and cumin seeds in the microwave on grill mode for two to three mintues.
- Grind coconut, red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, cloves, cinnamon and vinegar to a very fine paste with a little water.
- Place the oil and onions in a microwave safe bowl and cook, uncovered, on high (100%) for three minutes.
- Add the ground masala, fish and three and a half cups of water and cook, uncovered, on high (100%) for two minutes.
- Dilute the tamarind pulp in half cup of water and add. Add slit green chillies and stir. Adjust salt and cook again on MEDIUM (70%) for two minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Chef’s Tip: If kokum is available, you may add 5-6 kokum pieces soaked for half an hour in half a cup of water along with tamarind pulp.