Modak with a twist
- Rice flour – 1 1/4 cup + for rolling
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Grated fresh coconut – 1/2 cup
- Green cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Grated jaggery – 3 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Chocolate chips – 2 tbsp + for garnishing
- Heat 1 1/4 cup water in a non stick pan and allow it to come to a boil.
- Add 1 1/4 cup rice flour and mix well. Cook for 5-6 minutes sprinkling very little water from time to time and mixing well. Wrap in a damp cloth and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a non stick pan. Add fresh coconut and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add green cardamom powder, jaggery, sugar and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Transfer into a bowl and keep aside.
- Make equal size balls of the kneaded dough. Roll out each ball into a small roti using dry flour.
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre, top it with some chocolate chips. Apply water on the edges. Fold into pleats, seal the edges and shape them like momos / dim sums.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a non stick pan.
- Place the modaks in the pan. Drizzle some water and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer onto a serving plate, garnish with chocolate chips and serve.