Dhabay ki dal is a delicious Indian recipe served as a Curries.
- Chilkewali urad dal (split black gram with skin) – ½ cup
- Chana dal (split Bengal gram) – ¼ cup
- Water – 6 cups
- Rajma (red kidney beans) – ½ cup tinned cooked
- Vegetable oil – 4 tablespoons
- Fresh ginger piece, chopped – 1 inch
- Garlic cloves, chopped – 8-10 no
- Red onion, chopped – 1 medium
- Green chiles, chopped – 2 no
- Roasted cumin powder – ½ tablespoon
- Red chile powder – 1 tablespoon
- Tomatoes, chopped – 2 medium
- Butter – 3 tablespoons
- Table salt – to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves – 2 tablespoons
- Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) – 1 tablespoon
- Place the two grams in a deep bowl and wash thoroughly 2 to 3 times. Soak the them in the same bowl in 2 cups of water for at least 6 hours. Drain the in a colander.
- In a pressure cooker add the dal and kidney beans with salt and water and cook it for 10-12 whistles or until the lentil is completely cooked.
- Add the cooked kidney beans and mix well and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Place a non-stick medium sized deep pan on medium heat and pour in the oil. When small bubbles appear at the bottom of the pan, add ginger and garlic and sauté for 1 minute or till golden brown. Add the onion, chiles and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until the onion is golden brown.
- Add cumin powder and chile powder and sauté for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cook on high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously. Pour in the cooked grams and the butter and mix well.
- Add the salt, cilantro leaves and mix. Reduce heat to low and cook the mixture for 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Crush the dried fenugreek leaves between your palms and sprinkle on the dal.
- Take the pan off the stove top and pour the dal into a serving bowl. Serve immediately with steamed rice.