Delicious way to use up leftover rice by making vada’s
- Rice leftover – 2 cups
- Thick yogurt – 3 cups
- Ginger finely chopped – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – To deep fry
- Green chilies – 3
- Fresh coriander leaves – 5-6 sprigs
- Salt – To taste
- Red chili powder – ¾ teaspoon
- Roasted cumin powder – ¾ teaspoon
- Black salt – 1 ¼ teaspoon
- Curd chillies – 6
- Mustard oil – 1 ¼ tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 7-8
- Put ginger in a bowl and add rice.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai.
- Finely chop green chillies and add to the bowl. Finely chop coriander leaves and add to the bowl. Add salt, ½ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp cumin powder and ¼ tsp black salt and mash as you mix. You can also mash it in the mixer.
- Shape the mixture into round balls and flatten them slightly. Gently slide them into hot oil and deep fry till crisp on the outside. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Put the curd chillies into the hot oil and deep fry till crisp. Drain them on absorbent paper.
- Put the yogurt in a large bowl, add salt and 1 tsp black salt and whisk together till well blended.
- For tempering heat mustard oil in a non-stick pan.
- While the oil is getting hot, for each portion put 3-4 tbsps yogurt in serving bowls, arrange some fried wade over it. Put some more yogurt over the wade.
- When the oil is hot add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, ¼ tsp red chilli powder and ¼ tsp cumin powder and mix. Switch off the heat and pour the tempering over the wades in the serving bowl.
- Crush 1-2 fried curd chillies and sprinkle on top. Garnish with a small sprig of fresh coriander leaves and serve immediately.